Thursday, December 30, 2010

Reflexology

I saw it in action in the oncology wing at Hopkins. Once a week (for the past 2 years supposedly), the cancer center has brought in licensed massage therapists to the chemo floor to do a variety of techniques while the patient is getting infused, as a way to blend Eastern and Western medicine. The treatments include oncology massage, reflexology, reiki, and others! I saw lymphatic drainage on the list, but I'm not sure how much it is like the OMM version since when I started describing some of our techniques, they seemed to be different from what the therapist knew.

The concept of course for reflexology is that points on your hands and feet map to different parts of your body. The tender points show where there is some sort of problem. It seemed pretty accurate, since for colon cancer, the tenderest points mapped to the GI system. I really want to learn more about this and try some stuff out. Here's a pretty neat link in the meantime:
http://www.reflexology-research.com/whatis.htm

2 comments:

  1. this is really fascinating to me! i'm really enjoying reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete