Thursday, September 23, 2010

Is there a doctor in the house?

I flew home on a red eye last night to this morning. On the first leg of my flight, a lady in the row behind me kind of passed out. All of a sudden there was a lot of commotion and the lady next to her was fanning her and trying to get her to respond- "Can you hear me? Where are you?" The flight attendants paged overhead asking if there was a doctor in the house to come back. A guy figured out quickly that she needed at least some saline, so he put an IV in her, kneeling right there in the aisle! Others were holding the bag in the air so it could drip. It was intense! After a little while, the lady's eyes were open again and she said "I'm fine I'm fine!" But the doc told the pilot she needed to go to a hospital, so we made an emergency landing in Salt Lake City, where the paramedics came to get her. I'm not totally sure what the problem was, mostly because I kept falling asleep, but that was definitely something I've never seen happen before. And I must say, the IV on the plane thing- quite badass. Tis motivation to be one who can do that.

Now I'm home for the week. I watched Dr. Oz for the first time today since my dad is a fan. It was a pretty interesting show and a great way to get medical info out to the public in an easy to understand way. :)

I'm rewatching some of our OMM videos right now and here's a good tip from lab 2:
If you are looking for ribs 11 & 12 on a supine patient, sink in your hands (fingers straight) just inferior to the costal margin and run your index finger posteriorly along the bottom of rib 10 as a guideline: your middle finger should run into (or roll over the tip of) rib 11. Same deal for 11 & 12. Alternately, lift the patient's back towards you with your arms slack and the ribs will sink through the tissue onto your fingers. Roll your fingers a little superior and inferior to really feel them. Use your finger pads for everything because they have more nerves/sensation than your finger tips.

5 comments:

  1. wow that was your moment to shine! Where did he get the saline and iv from? was he actually a doctor? Did you reveal that you are a med student?

    ReplyDelete
  2. they sent out that "is there a doctor on the plane?" call on my flight to california for my TUCOM interview. fortunately(?), it was a flight coming from port au prince--who's flying in and out of haiti these days? missionaries and aid workers. there were six doctors on that flight. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow Katie! What was happening on your flight?
    I think there were probably at least 3 docs on mine bc that's how many people rushed back. I'm pretty sure the guy that did the IV was a doc, but to answer your question Shep, airplanes have pretty comprehensive medical kits on board! I saw a bunch of little vials of stuff, drugs, etc.. The doc was wearing gloves so those were there too. I did *not* reveal that I was a med student bc honestly, what could I have done? "I'm a student! Stand back! You- call 911! You- bring me the AED! Now I'm going to do some CPR! And maybe some OMM!" That would have been a sight... ;P

    ReplyDelete