Wednesday, September 8, 2010

People are amazing

I wanted to write last night but was exhausted. I am pretty sure I have a cold, but I am really glad we learned we learned sinus stuff in OMM lab yesterday to help relieve some of the symptoms :)

So while I've been out here, I think I've realized just how amazing the people in my life are. My dad has been in the hospital since last Sunday and my mom has been there every day to take care of him. Mom has been incredible through her support and dedication; I don't think I know anyone more willing to care for others so thoroughly. Dad has been such a fighter and still so dedicated to work, writing recommendation letters for people back in DC (because "it's hard to get a job sometimes") and making sure he takes care of his other work responsibilities. I also believe his first experience as a patient has allowed him to understand what it's like to be sick and how to appreciate life and others more. Sometimes I feel like it's a blessing for people to get really sick to realize those kinds of things and how amazing it is to be able to live a normal life. I often feel lucky that I had cancer at 21 because it helped me reframe how I view my own life and what I think is important. Since it was my bday yesterday, I thanked my parents for creating me... my dad gave me a weird look (granted, it was a weird phrase) but I just wanted them to know that I think they are incredible people and I'm thankful to be here and who I am because of them! I also think I don't tell them that I love them enough, but I hope they know I do.

My classmates and friends back home are also such amazing people. My wonderful roommate Tuwie threw me a surprise bday dessert get-together (I knew it was happening but not who was coming) last night which totally made my day. She and Jen sang a bday medley to me, which was super awesome. :) I also want to thank my sistas, friends, and other family who called, wrote, or wished me and the family well otherwise yesterday. Everyone has been so incredible and caring in the past few weeks and the support has been carrying me along through everything. Thank you more than I can say!

7 comments:

  1. May your birthday brings you all that makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog! Happy super belated birthday, btw :) And.... so how do you relieve sinus pressures? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the bewildering-painful-horror of sickness is a blessing to your repository of life experience. It also comes in handy if I have to make an unprotected left turn at a bad intersection, because I can think to myself, "But I made it through *that*, and therefore I have irrefutable evidence that my gonads are made of titanium. This will be a piece of cake." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I got to be there and watch you enjoy 2 birthday cakes! Let's bring back this blogging stuff. we need to stay grounded and accountable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are great! :) Thank you for being awesome.

    To Shep- agreed that we need to keep on this.. will try to now that blocks are over.

    To Susy- you can do a number of things for sinus pressure, but the easiest to explain are these techniques:
    1) Supraorbital and infraorbital inhibition--> Apply pressure with your finger on your supraorbital notches until you feel the tension release (you can rub in very tiny circles too). If you are sick, the area will be tender. Do the same thing for the infraorbital foramen (you will be able to feel the little divots).
    2) Afterwards, gently stroke the areas where your frontal and maxillary sinuses are located (this is called "effleurage").

    Those should help a bit. There is more sinus stuff that is related to lymphatic drainage but I can describe that to you in more detail later. :)

    ReplyDelete